The AIPC Quality Standards Program was developed in response to ongoing interest by members in having an industry-specific program for identifying and evaluating key areas of convention centre performance, leading to a visible and accepted form of recognition. At the same time, there was a requirement for a professional “arms-length” audit process in order to ensure the credibility of results.
The resulting AIPC Quality Standards Program has a number of key features, including:
- It is process-oriented rather than prescriptive, which means it can adapt to a wide range of centre approaches to facility management and venue types
- It can be applied to a wide variety of facility types, ages and configurations
- It documents centre policies and procedures in 10 key management areas that together cover all key areas of operation and interface
- An external audit process is available that results in a recognized certification
- It creates a high level of staff engagement and produces an enviable credential for centre credibility and demonstrating good management processes to the venue owner and community.
The standards address 10 key areas, including Customer Service, Quality of Facilities and Operations, Employee Relations, Health, Safety, Security and Emergency Response, Financial Integrity, Community Relations, Environmental Responsibility, Industry Relations and Supplier Relations.
The audit process consists of a procedure wherein centres assemble and submit documentation as to how they are addressing each area and what measures they have in place to gauge success.
AIPC’s Guide to Developing and Implementing Quality Standards for Convention Centres explains the background to the program and elaborates on the areas covered by the Standards.
Audit forms and an outline of the procedure are available through the AIPC Secretariat office. Once a centre has successfully completed the audit, they will be able to use the “AIPC Quality Standards Audited” logo and designation in their promotional and client materials.
RENEWAL / UPGRADE OF AIPC QUALITY STANDARDS
Renewal of the QS credential – which can result in either a re-affirmation of an existing level of performance or an upgrade to a higher level – is a streamlined version of the original process, requiring a re-affirmation that the processes submitted for initial qualification are still in place while updating their current status where there has been a change and adding new program information when internal procedures have been enhanced.
Complete details of the qualification and re-qualification procedures, along with necessary instructions, can be obtained via firstname.lastname@example.org.